Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 7: And So It Begins

This one's for my dad. :)
The (in)famous Fresher’s week has started.

Frankly, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I’ve been to three universities, and this is the first time I’ve every actually done orientation week. I had no idea if it would be a lot of games, or information, or drinking, or meeting people… or what.

To my relief, I’ve really been enjoying it so far. While Fresher’s Week technically just started today, the past three days have been a bit of a whirlwind with near constant activities. There has simply been so much to do and so many people to meet that when I go to bed each night I only have enough time to write in my journal: “So tired, but today was fantastic.”
I had to visit a bookstore-- so weird seeing
the UK covers on all the books!

Last week, I was still adjusting. I was getting used to being independent again, and I was trying to figure out what life would be like here. It was a good week, but one filled with a lot of mornings where I just really didn’t want to get out of bed and face all the paperwork (bank, phone, etc…) ahead of me.

But that’s all taken care of, now. I am officially a matriculated student of the University of Saint Andrew’s, which is rather cool, and I have a British bank account (with plenty of British money) and a British phone, and British friends… I’m even starting to develop a British accent, which is lovely.

I think I might prefer these to the North American covers.
Sometime soon, I should write a proper Fresher’s Week post, outlining some of the events I’ve been to so far and others I plan to attend. But right now my brain is a little too scattered… As soon as I’m done writing this post I’m going to head off to a pub to go hang out with some of the other Bobby Jones scholars for a few hours, then run to Toastie Bar (where toasted sandwiches are just 50p), then return home and sleep to prepare for another busy day tomorrow.
And this one is for Uncle Marty. :) Still haven't found the
church where he preached, though...


For the record: I’m a fan of Fresher’s week so far. Maybe it’s because I arrived early, or maybe it’s because the Christian Union is just so welcoming, but I don’t feel overwhelmed at all. I feel like I’ve been here for much longer than a week, and I’m really looking forward to term. So far, despite all my nervousness before coming, St. Andrew’s has been wonderful.



Little creek/river thing that runs through St. Andrew's




No comments:

Post a Comment