Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 4: Settling In

It’s now been several days since I arrived in Scotland, and I think I’m satisfactorily settled in. My suitcases are unpacked, my posters are up, I have a phone, I’ve got a bank account with money on the way, and I’ve met a number of new people. I have a good feel for the town, and I don’t think I’m likely to get lost again any time soon. :)

Tomorrow, things will start getting properly busy. Until now, the only students in town have been the ones who live off-campus, like me. Halls (residences) open tomorrow, so the vast majority of students will show up then. I’ll hopefully get to see the other Western students tomorrow, and maybe meet some new people at a big welcome party in the evening. There’s also a Christian fellowship kickoff tomorrow morning, which should be a great place to meet new friends.

I’ve already met a few people, mainly postgrads, thanks to my fantastic flatmate. She’s doing her PhD at St. Andrew’s, and so she’s introduced me to a number of her friends. I’ve been to a lovely little bible study, which is going to grow like crazy whenever most of the students show up, and tonight I met an exchange student from Nova Scotia. Funny how special it is to meet people from so close to home.

I think I’m ready for the craziness of Fresher’s week. The past days have been wonderful for getting settled in, and having very little on my to-do list meant that I could sleep in, or just wander around. I’m not the kind of person who likes to throw myself right into something unfamiliar, so I’ve really enjoyed having a few days to adjust.

But now I’m ready to meet people, and join societies, and stay up late, and become a real St. Andrew’s student. I’m ready for life to get a little busy. Fresher’s week: here I come!



P.S. Is it sad that my big happiness of the day was finding a grocery store that was so much cheaper than Tescoes? I know Tescoes is a big thing here, but Aldi is less crowded and the prices are way better (similar or cheaper than in Canada). Basically, I’m just happy that I’ll be able to eat well without spending more than I would back home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment